How-to: Obtaining Service on a PS3

 

While much has been written about the various hardware problems of Microsoft's Xbox 360 game console, and the process for getting one repaired, Sony's track record with the PS3 has been fairly phenomenal, and there's not a lot written about what actually happens when one goes bad.

Well, my system didn't exactly "go bad," but it is a launch 60GB system, which runs somewhat loud at times and frequently produces graphical glitches after extended gameplay.  It really isn't anything too severe, and probably wouldn't even be considered defective by some video game system manufacturers, but since my warranty was about to expire, I decided to see what Sony would do for me.

I placed a call to Sony's support hotline at 1-800-345-7669 (in the U.S.).  The tech I spoke with had me run through their standard "this should fix everything" scripting, which basically consists of ensuring you're running the latest system software, and restoring the system (which involves deleting everything on it except for the system software).  Now I knew (and the tech likely did as well) that this would have no effect on my problem, but I've dealt with tech support with other companies enough to know that they always have a script of things they are required to try before actually replacing your hardware.  I was given a ticket number and advised to call back if the problem persisted.

Of course, it did persist, so I called back, explained the situation to the tech, and straight away requested that they replace or fix the system.  The tech saw that the earlier tech had gone through their "fix-all" measures and put up no fight.  He explained the process and advised that he would send a "box" to place my system in for shipping.  He told me to back everything up, as I would be getting an "exchange system," not my original, back.

As most people have never had to deal with Sony on a system replacement, I'll go into some more detail on the process.  Right after speaking with the tech, I received an email explaining what components Sony wanted sent back.  Those components are:

  • PS3 system
  • power cord
  • Six-axis controller
  • controller charging cable
  • ethernet cable
  • Composite video cable

ps3instructions8

While these are the components that came with the system, if you didn't save the box, you may have a problem here.  After all many people are using the included wireless internet instead of the ethernet connection, and using a composite video/audio cable to connect a PS3 is damn near criminal.  Sadly, the directions don't specify what to do if you don't have any of these components.  As I had saved the PS3 box, it didn't much matter to me.  For in-warranty replacement, you will also need to send a copy of your store receipt (or other allowable proof of purchase) for warranty verification.

ps3box3

The box is sent via 3-day UPS, and you can check the progress if the shipment online if you like.  Inside the box is another set of directions along with pictures showing you how to place the system and accessories with the box.  Another UPS label (this time for overnight delivery) is included for you to send the system back to Sony.  This is fantastic service from Sony.  Not only are they paying to ship you a special box to ship the system back in... they also cover the shipping costs back to them (and overnight UPS at that).

ps3accessories4

As you can see from the pictures, the system fits nicely within a special protective bag that and is held in place by tight fitting styrofoam padding. A separate compartment holds all of the cables and the controller they request you ship back.

ps3packed5

Sony even includes a piece of packing tape to seal the box prior to returning.  The box then just needs to be dropped off at any UPS shipping facility for overnight shipment back to Sony.

ps3tape4

The instructions state that it takes 3-5 business days from the day they receive your defective system until you receive a replacement system from Sony.  This is very impressive time, and you are provided with tracking numbers to track the shipment to and from UPS as well as a link to check the status of the exchange with Sony.

Everything went extremely smoothly for me.  The tracking number (on the shipment to Sony) registered that evening and showed delivered the following day.  Two days later I received another email informing me that a replacement system had been shipped to me.  This package is shipped UPS three day and requires an adult (21 years or older) to sign for the package.  UPS called and left a voicemail with a reminder the day before delivery to let me know the delivery would occur and an adult would need to sign for the package.

The package came as promised... another simple brown box.  Once opened, it's pretty much identical to what was sent out, although a different system is included (refurbished, though looking like new) and the accessories are packed within a separate plastic bag.

ps3final

Overall, the packaging and the service from Sony are both fantastic.  I sent my system out on a Monday, and received my new system the following Tueday, and the whole process was about as hassle-free as could be.  My new system seems to be working great so far and it's great that it came before the major Blu-ray and PS3 game withdrawl pains set in.  The new system was also blemish-free and even had the cellophane protecting the top cover as new systems do.

Depending on how long you've had your PS3, your new system will have either the remainder of your original 1 year warranty on it or a 90-day warranty (whichever would expire later).  In the end, I was quite happy with the service I received from Sony, and am actually glad I didn't spend the extra $100 on the store warranty initially.  Getting the system replacement from Sony not only saved me $100, but was probably less of a hassle than trying to exchange in-store would have been.

0 comments: